CELLAVISTA 4® Cell Imager
SYNENTEC has recently launched CELLAVISTA 4®, a new generation automated cell imaging platform with brightfield and optional multiple fluorescence detection capabilities that is considerably faster than the previous model and delivers the highest image quality. CELLAVISTA 4 imager is designed for medium to high-throughput laboratory settings. It is an ideal microscopy system for high content screening, single cell cloning, ultra-fast cell imaging, and cell counting with viability (96 samples in 2-3 minutes). CELLAVISTA 4 is a versatile system that currently supports over 60 applications utilizing automated fluorescence and brightfield microscopy.
CELLAVISTA 4® FEATURES
CELLAVISTA 4 is an automated cellular imaging system
- set up with 6 different excitation sources and 6 different emission channels within the visible spectrum from UV (e.g. Hoechst/DAPI) to Red (e.g. Alexa®647)
- equipped with up to 5 different magnifications
- supporting microplates of the SBS standard plate formats (1536, 384, 96, 48, 24, 12, 6), dishes, T 25 flasks and microscope slides.
- with very fast imaging speeds, with a complete scan of a 96-well microplate at 10x magnification within 4 minutes
- parallel image processing
- automated laser-based autofocusing
- intuitive software with comprehensive graphical output
- built-in interface enabling integration with Synentec’s SyBOT-800 automated system or to robotic systems from companies like Hamilton, Tecan, Beckman Coulter, PAA, Perkin Elmer, or ThermoFisher
- in automated and high throughput environments, CELLAVISTA 4 is able to image over 250 plates a day.
CELLAVISTA 4 automated cell imager is characterized by same high quality as previous models but has many new features:
- Enhanced harmonic motion for imaging without agitation during plate scan
- Ultrafast multiplex imaging
- Redesigned highly sensitive optics
- HCS-grade lenses
- 3 times more sensitive fluorescence module enabling shorter exposures
- Faster measurements and less photobleaching
- Autofocus performance is twice as fast as in previous models
CELLAVISTA 4® Models
CELLAVISTA 4® comes in 3 different models:
CELLAVISTA 4® CLD BASIC - with brightfield imaging only
CELLAVISTA 4® CLD HE (HighEnd) - with brightfield and 6 fluorescence channels
CELLAVISTA 4® SCIENTIFIC - a brand new model with a highly sensitive 16-bit sCMOS camera and high numeric aperture lenses for measuring wider ranges of signal intensities, higher dynamic range, and a better signal to background ratio
CELLAVISTA 4® APPLICATIONS
CELLAVISTA 4® is a very versatile system that can be used for over 60 applications in cell line development, cancer, stem cell, preclinical drug development, immunology and cell biology labs. Its ultra-fast multiplex imaging is ideal for high-content screening (HCS).
The list of applications includes:
- Automated Multiplex Cell Imaging
- Single Cell Cloning (SCC) and Fluorescence Activated Single Cell Cloning (FASCC)
- Trypan Blue Cell Viability Assays - analyze 96 samples in 2-3 minutes with sample volumes as little as 20 µL
- High-Throughput Cell Counting and Cell Proliferation Monitoring
- Monitoring Gene Transfection Efficiency
- Cell Confluence Monitoring
- Stem Cells, iPS Cell Characterization and Monitoring
- Cell Apoptosis (Annexin V, JC-1, caspases)
- DNA Damage
- Nuclei Staining
- Cell Cycle and Mitosis Analysis
- CD Marker Analyses
- Antibody Binding and ADC Internalization Assays
- Viral Plaque Assay and Vaccine Development
- siRNA Detection
- Cell Migration and Wound Healing Assays
- Oxidative Stress (ROS)
- IgG and Glycan Quantification (in combination with PAIA plates)
- ImmunoCytoChemistry (ICC/IHC)
- 3D Culture Assays
For full a list of applications, protocols, and technical notes, please visit Synentec's website.
Single Cell Cloning - Proof Of Monoclonality
Single cell cloning (SCC) represents a crucial step in cell line development. The aim of SCC is to identify wells where a single cell was seeded and to monitor its growth rate. To prove monoclonality for regulatory approval, it is essential to have a robust and reliable imaging system. CELLAVISTA 4 and NYONE automated cell imagers are well established in the field of cell line development. They combine robustness and reliability with a high image resolution (below 1 micron per pixel) to determine the clonality of a cell line.
Single Cell Cloning (SCC) using brightfield imaging
Our systems scan the whole wells of a microplate in bright field at high resolution after seeding the cells.
- rapid cell cloning
- no area in the well is missed
- day-by-day automatable measurement
- all colonies are recognized by our software
- tracking back to the first day to demonstrate monoclonality
- works with both adherent and suspension cells
- automatic generation of a clone gallery
This provides a proof that your colony in fact grows from a single cell, or grows from a cell doublet.
Single Cell Cloning
FASCC (Fluorescence Activated Single Cell Cloning)
Ghost cells represent one of the main challenges in cell line development. Such undetected cells usually lie on the well edge. They are sometimes missed because most imaging systems for CLD are equipped with low resolution optics (2 microns per pixel), and only have a white light (brightfield) source.
This lack of resolution causes a lack of information within the image, and therefore it is hardly possible to distinguish cells from debris, or well edge artefacts. Because of this lack of precision, a correct statement about monoclonality is difficult.
Adding fluorescence enables the detection of these cells in a reliable way, even at the well edge! SYNENTEC has developed a unique method called FASCC to overcome all disadvantages of classic white light single cell cloning. FASCC provides a fully automated screening of your microplates by using the advantage of short term, non-toxic, and animal-free cell staining (e.g., CellTracker Green, Calcein AM). This unique tool presents a fast proof of monoclonality without guesses or doubts!
Fluorescence Activated Single Cell Cloning
VIROLOGICAL RESEARCH AND Vaccine DEVELOPMENT
SYNENTEC's automated imagers are frequently used in virology and vaccine development (Influenza, Noro, SARS-CoV-2, Malaria, HIV, etc.) for human and veterinary vaccines. The high-throughput imaging system CELLAVISTA 4® accelerates your work and supports the following assays:
- Viral titer quantification & infectivity determination
- Label-free plaque assay
- Endpoint dilution assays (TCID50)
- Plaque reduction neutralization test (PRNT) (Virus neutralization assay)
- Focus forming assay (FFA)
- Immunofluorescence foci assays (IFA)
- Measurement of host cell viability & viral cytopathic effects (Cell confluence, Live/Dead, Apoptosis...)
- Viral Pathogenesis (morphological change in infected host cells)
- In vitro immune responses to vaccines
- Vaccine vector testing in transduction efficiency
- Immunologic in vitro studies
- Reverse vaccinology (ELISpot and FluoroSpot)
PRECLINICAL DRUG TESTING
The development of new drugs and biopharmaceuticals requires a precise experimental implementation. All steps to reach this goal involve time-consuming and labor-intensive laboratory testing. The automation of this process increases the throughput and quality of data, minimizes technician’s errors, and significantly increases the productivity of the lab.
SYNENTEC actively supports your daily laboratory work with their fully automated high-throughput cell imagers. Applications such as cell counting with viability, proliferation studies that help to determine drug sensitivity and resistance profiles, cell cycle and apoptosis monitoring, cell toxicity and DNA damage analyses, 3D cell culture assays, and surface marker analysis are only a fraction of the applications in which SYNENTEC’s versatile imagers provide an extremely valuable service to drug testing laboratories.
Preclinical Drug Testing
SYNENTEC GmbH was founded in 2005 by engineers and partners Stefan Hummel and Matthias Pirsch. Their headquarters are located in Elmshorn, near Hamburg, Germany. SYNENTEC is a team of engineers, software developers, and biologists. All systems are designed, developed, and manufactured in house. CELLAVISTA, a high throughput fully automated cell imager, was launched in June 2007 and has been continuously developed ever since. More information about SYNENTEC, their imaging systems, applications, including downloadable material is available at www.synentec.com.